Saturday, April 11, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake...

For those brides out there who haven't started the cake tasting process, these are my words of advice. DO NOT attempt to fit in more than 2 cake tastings in one day. PLEASE. Trust me on this. That's what we did today and I almost went into a sugar coma. And I love sugar.

Let's talk design. When I first started looking at cakes there were these AMAZING masterpieces. Just...huge and...beautiful...and...suuuuuper expensive. See, the only cakes that I had been previously exposed to were the one's you get from the grocery store on your 5th birthday. Barbie and Superman and whatnot. Fon-what? Fondant wasn't even in my vocabulary. When I discovered the cost that little sugar blanket adds to your per slice price is when I decided to go the buttercream route. And really, not only because it's less expensive than fondant, but {let's get real} fondant is gross. It's just a thick sugary mess that people end up peeling off anyway. If you have the budget to go the fondant route, by any means, take that route! You can get gorgeous designs using fondant that you can't using buttercream. But if you're wedding budget isn't a million bucks, buttercream isn't as second rate as it might seem.

After looking at scores of cakes, I thought I had settled on one I saw in an InStyle Wedding magazine {the white one minus the flower}.

Then when I went to print it out from the computer to take to the bakeries I found another cake I had saved a picture of.

And I decided that I liked the second much more than the first. It's a more interesting design for a large cake.

So. The design will be a slight variation on that pic with black swirls instead of brown and light pink roses. Flavor wise, we {Joshua & myself} haven't pinned anything down yet, but it will involve strawberries and chocolate.

And that is that for now. I'll let you know who we end up booking.

No comments:

Post a Comment